Want to come and work in a busy, friendly and very committed team on behalf of everyone in Cardiff Central ? I’m recruiting a Senior Communications Officer.
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Length of Contract: Permanent; with a six month probation period
Jo Stevens MP is looking for an excellent candidate to join a well-established, friendly and busy Cardiff Central constituency team as Senior Communications Officer. This is a full-time paid position. There may be a requirement for the role-holder to work outside of normal hours and to travel for work occasionally.
The role holder will keep constituents informed about Jo’s activity and help raise their issues locally and in Parliament. This role connects to every part of Jo’s team to coordinate the communications output of her casework, policy and parliamentary work.
The role-holder will be responsible for:
– Maintaining an engaging, targeted and highly responsive video-first social media presence across all social media channels;
– Leading on community engagement and social media.
– Drafting newspaper columns, speeches, leaflets/letters, briefings, reports and website updates alongside Jo’s monthly email newsletter to constituents and her annual report;
– Working with Jo’s Head of Office to deliver regular constituency events, including in hybrid format;
– Other general communications tasks and support.
– Proactive engagement with community organisations to ensure regular invitations are received for Jo to meet and speak with local groups / associations
– Experience of producing print and digital writing and content, including leaflets, reports, briefings and surveys for use in constituent and stakeholder communications
– Proven knowledge of social media growth strategies
– Ability to produce high quality written communications appropriate to the audience
– Knowledge of and interest in both Welsh and UK politics
– Ability to work under pressure, to tight deadlines and to adapt to rapidly evolving political situations
– Ability to manage confidential information in line with GDPR policies appropriately.
– Ability to lead on community engagement, build relationships with individuals, constituency organisations and the voluntary party, expanding Jo’s readership and social media reach and identifying opportunities for constituency events and campaigns.
– Knowledge and understanding of the Cardiff Central constituency
– Ability to produce written communications in Welsh
– Experience of writing Parliamentary questions
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 21 August 2022
Interviews will be conducted in the week commencing Tuesday 30th August . Applicants will be asked to undertake a written task ahead of the interview, this will be communicated to shortlisted candidates.
Start date: as soon as possible.
Please send your CV (no more than 2 sides of A4) and covering letter (no more than one side of A4) setting out how you meet the essential and desirable criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that, due to the expected quality of applications, evidence of desirable skills may be a deciding factor in shortlisting