Cost-of-Living Advice Hub
Cost-of-Living Advice Hub

As Tory inaction on the cost-of-living crisis continues, I want to make it as easy as possible for Cardiff Central constituents to access any help they may be entitled to to ease the current burden.

Below I’ve included links to support for utilities, and any benefits or discounts you may be entitled to – and some links to support agencies who will be able to assist you if needed.

I’ll be continually updating this list as I receive more information.


Welsh Government support

Free School Meals

Free school breakfasts are available for all children in Wales.

Free school meals are available to eligible to children in Wales, and are continuing to be provided through school holidays.

Link here –

From September 2022, the universal free school meals scheme will start to be rolled out, starting with reception classes.  By April 2023, years 1 and 2 will start to receive their free school meals, with the rest of primary school years following by 2024.

Link here –


Pupil Development Grant

Helps families with the costs of the school day and can be used for items such as school uniform and equipment.

Learners currently eligible for free school meals can apply for the grant of £125 per learner, and £200 for those learners entering year 7, recognising the increased costs associated with starting secondary school.

Link here –


Help with childcare costs

The Childcare Offer for Wales provides up to 30 hours of government-funded early education and childcare to eligible working parents of three- and four-year-olds for 48 weeks of the year.

Link here – 



Winter Fuel Payment

The Winter Fuel Payment is an annual one-off payment to help you pay for heating during the winter. You can usually get a Winter Fuel Payment if you were born on or before 26 September 1955.

Check how much Winter Fuel Payment you can get and how to claim it here.


Cold Weather Payments

Cold Weather Payments are one-off payments to help you pay for extra heating costs when it’s very cold.

You’ll get a payment each time the temperature drops below a specific temperature for a set period of time.

You’ll only be eligible for a Cold Weather Payment if you already get:

  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit

If you’re eligible, you’ll get paid automatically. Find out more about Cold Weather Payments here.


Welsh Water

Help can be given to those struggling to pay their bills.  Find out more on the Welsh Water website –


HelpU tariff

The HelpU tariff helps the lowest income households in our region. If you qualify, we will cap your water bill so you won’t pay over a certain amount for the year.

If you have a water meter, you will never pay more than the amount you have used. If your consumption is less than the HelpU cap amount, you will only be billed for the amount of water you have used.

Link here –


Broadband and mobile phones

If you are concerned about paying your broadband or mobile bill, you should contact your supplier immediately. They may be able to put a payment plan or other support in place to help you stay connected.

Find out more about cheaper broadband and phone packages here.

National Energy Action

Directly supports people with energy and income maximisation advice and we advocate on issues including improving the energy efficiency of our homes.

If you or someone you know can’t afford to heat their home NEA offer a range of advice and support directly to people in need.

Call 0800 304 7159, Monday to Friday 10.00 am-12.00 noon

Link here –



 Discretionary housing payments

Applies to both social and private sectors

It can provide extra money when your local authority decides that you need extra help to meet your housing costs on top of what benefit support you already receive through the DWP.

In order to receive the Discretionary Housing Payments, it is necessary to either already be receiving the old scheme Housing Benefit or the housing cost contribution element through Universal Credit.

To find out if you are eligible contact Cardiff Council. Link here –


Benefit Entitlement

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs which is paid monthly. You may be eligible to apply if you are working but on a low income, out of work or you cannot work.

Universal Credit Helpline: 0800 328 5644

Welsh language: 0800 328 1744

Link here –


New Style Employment & Support Allowance

If you are ill or have a health condition or disability that limits your ability to work you may be able to get New Style Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

New Style ESA is a fortnightly payment that can be claimed on its own or at the same time as Universal Credit (UC). If you get both benefits, your Universal Credit payment is reduced by the amount you get for New Style ESA.

New Style ESA is a contributory benefit. Normally, this means you may be able to get it if you’ve paid or been credited with enough National Insurance contributions in the 2 full tax years before the year, you’re claiming in.

To be eligible for the New Style ESA you usually need to have been working within the last 2 to 3 years and have made (or been credited with) Class 1 or Class 2 National Insurance contributions. This can be through employment or self–employment.

Link here –


New Style Job Seekers Allowance

You might be eligible for New Style Job Seeker’s Allowance to help you when you look for work, either on its own or at the same time as Universal Credit. If you’re unemployed or work less than 16 hours a week you may be able to get New Style Job Seeker’s Allowance.

Link here –


Personal Independence Payment

Payments to support the cost of living for individuals who:

  • Have a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability
  • Difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition

 Link here –


Pension Credit

Pension Credit gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income. Pension Credit can also help with housing costs such as ground rent or service charges.

You might get extra help if you’re a carer, severely disabled, or responsible for a child or young person.

Pension Credit is separate from your State Pension. You can get Pension Credit even if you have other income, savings or own your own home.


Where to get help

Citizens Advice

Citizen’s Advice Cymru offers free, confidential advice on a range of issues including money, debt and benefits. To speak to an adviser, please call 03444 77 20 20 (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday)

Link here –


Age Cymru

Age Cymru Advice offers free, confidential and impartial support service. They can help older people, their families, friends, carers and professionals with information and advice on matters affecting older people.

To find out more, call 0300 303 398 between 9:00am and 4:00pm, Monday to Friday  or email


Care and Repair

Care and Repair provides information, advice and practical services that help older people in Wales stay safe, warm and well at home. They fit disability aids and adaptations, supply home maintenance services, help maximise income and access grants, and make homes safe to return to from hospital.

To find out more, call 0300 111 3333. Even if you think that you do not ordinarily qualify for financial support you could now be eligible for some help with day to day living costs.

Link here –


Money Advice Service, Cardiff

Can offer help and support in a number of areas such as budgeting, income maximisation and managing debt.

Drop-in services are available at Central Library Hub or one of their Outreach Surgeries.

Link here –


Speakeasy Advice Centre, Cardiff


Breathing Space Scheme

Breathing Space (sometimes called the ‘Debt Respite Scheme’) is a free UK Government scheme that could give you up to 60 days’ space from creditors to focus on getting debt advice and setting up a debt solution.

If you apply and are eligible, all creditors are informed and must stop any collection or enforcement activity. You’ll still need to keep making your regular payments if you can afford to.

For more information on the scheme, click here.

Link to Instagram Link to Twitter Link to YouTube Link to Facebook Link to LinkedIn Link to Snapchat Close Fax Website Location Phone Email Calendar Building Search