This week is Heart Unions week.
More than six million workers in the UK are in a union – from nurses to pilots, actors to lorry drivers.
When a group of workers act and speak together, their employer has to listen. That’s how unions make things better at work.
So why not find out which union is the right one for you, get a group of mates together in your workplace, and join a union?
5 reasons why you should join a trade union:
- Trade unions give power to working people by enabling employees to speak with one voice to their employer. As a result, trade unions help working people to win a better deal at work.
- Union members are likely to have a more secure job with better maternity, paternity, sickness and pension benefits. As a union member you are also more likely to have more paid holiday and more control over your working hours.1
- Workers in unionised workplaces get paid around 6.5% more than workers in similar non-unionised workplaces.2 Unionised workplaces also have smaller pay gaps meaning women are more likely to get paid the same as men for doing the same or similar work.3
- Unions provide access to legal advice on employment matters and can represent you at any employment tribunal. They support and represent you if you are a victim of workplace discrimination, harassment or bullying.
- The trade union and labour movement believe that we achieve more together than we do alone. By joining a union you are promoting our collective values of solidarity and equality in your workplace and helping to grow the movement.