I'm looking for a Parliamentary Assistant to work part time (3 days/0.6 equivalent) in my Westminster office, supporting my work with the Business, Innovation and Skills Committee and providing administrative and research support.
The Job Description will include:
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, hansard, debates, etc
- Undertake research and ensure the Member is fully briefed on potential questions and motions to be put to the house
- Prepare and present briefing notes for committees, press releases, parliamentary questions etc
- Manage briefings and commitments relating to membership of the Business, Innovation and Skills committee
- Diary management
- Monitor media coverage as required and brief the Member on relevant issues
- Liaise with constituency-based staff on any casework issues as required
- Provide general admin support
The ideal candidate will:
- Have experience of working in a Member’s Westminster office
- Be confident, approachable and organised
- Be able to demonstrate research skills
- Be able to write succinctly and accurately
- Be comfortable working in a busy office to tight deadlines
- Have an awareness of politics and current affairs, including current legislation
- Have a commitment to the aims and objectives of the Labour Party
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) for further info.
Interviews: Week beginning 7th September in London.
Start Date: ASAP
How to apply:
Please send a CV and brief covering letter, detailing how you meet the requirements listed in the person specification, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Parliamentary Assistant Application’ no later than 5pm on Tuesday 1st September.