Three and a half years in, the Lib Dem and Tory government is failing us badly.
When people vote for their MP, they place their trust in that person to understand their concerns and aspirations. They want their interests represented effectively and for their MP to take responsibility and be accountable.
Since the Liberal Democrats formed a coalition government with the Tories in 2010, Cardiff Central’s Lib Dem MP has backed every government action that has led to the current cost of living crisis.
In those three and a half years, these are just ten of the many Lib Dem and Tory failures:
- Wages are down by an average of £1500 a year while prices have risen faster than wages in 39 of the 40 months of the coalition government.
- Food bank usage has grown by 700% and 300,000 more children are living in absolute poverty.
- Utility bills have rocketed. Gas prices are up 31% and electricity prices are up between 22% and 39%.
- National debt has risen by £447 billion.
- The economy has grown by just 1.7% rather than the 6.9% the coalition aimed for.
- Royal Mail has been sold for 50% less than it is now valued at.
- Over 35,000 police personnel have lost their jobs.
- More than 600,000 public sector workers’ jobs have been axed.
- Almost one million young people are unemployed.
- The Bedroom Tax has been introduced. Two thirds of people hit are disabled. 96% of those hit have nowhere to move to. In Cardiff nearly 4000 households are affected and there are just 115 one- and two-bedroom properties available.
Yet bankers’ bonuses have risen by 64% in just one year and top rate tax payers have had a 5% tax rate cut.
Compare all this to Labour and our policies to deal with the cost of living crisis that has engulfed the UK since 2010; we will freeze energy bills, tackle pay-day lenders, make a tax cut for small businesses, enforce a cap on rail fares and repeal the Bedroom Tax.
Only Labour is offering solutions for hard-pressed households. Only a Labour MP will deliver those solutions for the people of Cardiff Central.
If you would like to talk to me about the cost of living crisis, email me or call me on 07813 025 953.
If you’d like to join Ed Miliband, Leader of the Labour Party, and ask David Cameron to freeze energy bills now, click here to sign the petition.